In the 2nd episode of the second season of Frog’s How to Scale podcast, Senior Partner Mike Reid speaks with Dale Murray CBE about how entrepreneurs can work as effectively as possible with their boards and how they can mentor and coach their own senior teams to collaborate at board level.
Dale is an experienced board director to global technology businesses and a successful tech entrepreneur. She is currently on the board for 6 companies, including Xero, the cloud accountancy software business. Earlier in her career, Dale co-founded Omega Logic which launched mobile phone “top-ups” in the UK in 2001. Within 5 years their gross transaction revenue reached £450m p.a. and she completed the sale of the company to First Data Corporation.
In our conversation we cover:
• How should entrepreneurs approach introducing and working with a board?
• Building relationships inside and outside the boardroom
• Shifting from ‘reporting’ to collaborating
• Utilising the board’s experience to spot weaknesses and threats
• Communicating effectively to ensure trust is built between all parties
• Using the chair as a bridge between the board and the management team
• Ensuring alignment of your company’s values with the board
Dale also shares some of her own boardroom experiences from her time as an entrepreneur.
We cover these topics and many others extensively in How to Scale, Frog’s library of Scale-Up insights, including further episodes of the podcast and Scale-Up toolkits from our Frog Operating Partners. Subscribe to our podcast or follow us on Linkedin to ensure you never miss a new episode. We welcome all feedback, questions or topic suggestions for us to cover in future episodes, so please email us. We’d love to hear from you.